You come in for an induction. This involves filling in a health questionnaire and having an induction.
Frequently Asked Questions
THE JOINING PROCESS
- How do I join?
- Can I trial The Gym before joining?
Yes. You can pay £5 and have a full session.
- What is the minimum age to join The Gym?
The minimum age required to join the gym is 13 years old.
- Are there any restrictions for under 18s?
Yes. We expect young people of 13 to 15 to do cardio only and maybe start weights once they have had a further review with an instructor.
- I’m under 16, how do I book my compulsory Gym Induction?
You come in with a parent/carer and they must fill in your health questionnaire and sign a form of consent. We then book you in for an induction.
- Can I cancel my membership?
Yes. You can cancel your direct debit at any time. The onus is on you to do this though, as we do not cancel people’s membership for them.
- Do you offer a NUS discount?
Yes we do. Speak to a member of our team to find out more.
- Does The Gym have a corporate scheme?
Yes we do. Speak to us to find out more about this.
- Do you offer a multi-site membership?
No. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Can I pay by cash or card?
Yes. You can also pay for your membership by Direct Debit.
- Can I set up my direct debit with a non-UK bank account?
Unfortunately, no. All direct debits must be sent from a UK bank account.
MY FIRST VISIT
- Are the changing rooms and showers easy to find?
Yes. We would always show you where they are on your first visit anyway and there is always a member of staff to hand if you have any problems.
- What if I need help while I’m in The Gym?
We will always help as there is always someone available to answer all your questions.
- I’m disabled; will I have problems getting into The Gym?
The main part of the gym is wheelchair accessible, we ALSO have quite a few machines that can be used by someone in a wheelchair or someone with limited mobility.
BEING A MEMBER OF THE GYM
- Will I be issued with a membership card by The Gym?
Yes, you will get a card unique to you that you scan every time you visit.
- Can I share or give my card to somebody else to use?
No. Each member of Waterside Gym must have their own membership and unique card.
- Do I have to book an induction and is there a cost for this?
If you are joining the gym as a yearly member or on a Direct Debit you do have to book an induction but these are free as part of your membership. You also get another two free sessions with a personal trainer to review your progress during the year.
- How do I book my induction with The Gym?
You ring us or pop in and we will book you in at a convenient time.
- Do you offer group inductions?
We can do, but it is unusual as we like to focus on each person and their individual needs.
- Will personal training be available?
As a full gym member you are entitled to three sessions with a personal trainer. Additional sessions must be paid for. There are always personal trainers and fully trained instructors on hand to help with any problem you come across during your time at the gym.
- Can I freeze my membership?
If you have a full membership (paid for a year up front or paying by direct debit) you can freeze your membership at no cost to you. We are very flexible and we can discuss any problems you are having to try and find the best solution to suit you.
- How do I unfreeze my membership?
You ring us or pop in and we put you back on, simple!
- Does The Gym have a corporate scheme?
Yes. We offer a reduced membership cost for companies when they take out ten memberships or more and each person attending the gym from the company is required to pay a small amount towards their yearly membership.
- How can I cancel my membership?
If you have paid upfront for the year, you can’t cancel. If you are paying by Direct Debit you can cancel your direct debits and this will automatically cancel your membership.
- What are off peak hours?
Our off peak hours are Monday to Friday 11am to 3.30pm.
EQUIPMENT & FACILITIES
- Will I be shown how to use the equipment?
Yes, unless you already know how to use it.
- Are there changing facilities and showers in The Gym?
Yes. There are separate men and women changing rooms and showers.
- Are there lockers?
Yes. The lockers are free to use but the men will require a padlock for their lockers. This can be purchased for £3 at reception.
- Does the facility include sauna, steam, spa and pool?
- Do you have sunbeds and when can I use them?
No, we do not offer this service.
- Do you provide parking at The Gym?
There is limited parking at the gym and there is parking all around in town.
- Do you supply paper towel dispensers to wipe down equipment?
- Do you supply towels?
We do at the cost of £1 per towel.
- Do I need a password?
Yes. If you ask at reception we will give you the password.
- Is there a time limit on how long I can stay online?
No, members are welcome to use the Wi-Fi for as long as they need whilst working out.
- Can I use it anywhere in the gym?